LAS Lupus Research Grant Call 2020 – GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
The Lupus Association (Singapore) (LAS) is a charity with Institution of a Public Character status. We
are inviting grant proposals to support local lupus research projects with the objectives of
understanding the pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), improve treatment and the
quality of life for SLE patients.
• S$10,000 project grant and certificate
Terms and Conditions
• The successful applicant has up to 3 months to obtain the necessary ethics approval.
• The funds can only be used for academic purposes.
• Funding period: 12 months.
• Up to S$1,000 per award may be budgeted for travel related expenses at a later date.
• The winner must present an abstract and an oral or poster presentation at a local, regional or
international conference within 12-24 months from date of winning.
• Winners, together with their supervisors (if applicable), are strongly encouraged to apply for external
grants with the pilot data they generate.
1) Research topic must be related to SLE.
2) Applicant can be a rheumatologist or senior resident-in-training from public institutions.
3) Senior resident-in-training must have a supervisor from their institution. The supervisor must
provide guidance for the applicant throughout the duration of the project.
4) Collaborations with immunologists and/or computational scientists are encouraged.
5) Applicants must have internal administrative support for grant disbursement.
Applicants must submit an abstract to be shortlisted for presentation. The guidelines and instructions
for abstract submission are as follows:
i. Submit the abstract using the abstract submission form.
ii. Abstract content – The abstract must answer the following questions:
– Why is your project important?
– What is known about this area of medicine/science?
– What is the question you are asking?
– What is your hypothesis?
– How do you intend to answer this question?
– What is novel about your research idea?
– State why your project should be funded.
iii. The word limit is 250 words (excluding title, authors and affiliations) and the number of authors
should not exceed 7.
iv. The font to use is Arial font size 10.
v. Do not include figures, graphs, tables or references.
vi. Late abstracts will not be considered.
• 6 abstracts will be shortlisted for a PowerPoint presentation. Each participant will be given 10
minutes for presentation and 5 minutes for Q&A. Project grants will be awarded to 3 successful
• Abstracts will be reviewed by the LAS Lupus Research Panel and approved by the LAS council.
The results of the grant call will be also be published in the LAS website. Please do not hesitate to
contact [email protected] should you need any further details or clarification.
Dr. Tay Sen Hee, Frank
LAS Lupus Research Panel
Lupus Association (Singapore)
Ms. Lim Suan Kim, Irene
Lupus Association (Singapore)
Developing a cardiovascular risk prediction tool for systemic lupus erythematosus patients (2020)
Dr Lim Xin Rong
Tan Tock Seng Hospital
Serum biomarkers for predicting lupus nephritis and evaluating renal disease severity (2019)
Dr. Chua Kai Ting Cheryl & Dr. Phang Kee Fong
National University Hospital (NUH)